Christmas, a celebration full of love that brings everyone together around a great big meal. Family, music, gifts, excited kids, this holiday really has a magical side.
But the traditional Christmas meal is far from being fun for the animals. Ham, turkey, meat pie, stew, maple syrup sausages and more, these classic dishes means slaughterhouse for several species.
What if we change things by offering a 100% vegan holiday menu, without losing the flavors of the classic dishes? That’s what i’m going to do for the next month. 4 weeks of vegan holiday recipes!
Meat pie, creamy mashed potatoes, maple roasted vegetables, sweets and other delicious cruelty-free recipes. Lets start with a tvp no-meat pie!
Ingredients for the dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soymilk
Ingredients of the filling
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 227 grams of white mushrooms chopped into small pieces
- 3 tbs vegan margarine or vegan butter
- 5 cups mushroom broth
- 4 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast food (optional, but gives a nice little taste)
- 2 1/2 cups textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 3 potatoes cut into small dice (1/2 « )
- 1/2 tsp powdered mustard
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 1 tsp savory
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground onions
- 1 tsp steak spice
Preparation of the dough
- In a food processor or a bowl, mix the margarine with the flour to obtain a sandy texture.
- Add the soy milk and mix well. Add flour if needed.
- Divide the dough in 2, cover and refrigerate.
Preparation of the filling
- In a saucepan, put the margarine and sear the onions, garlic and mushrooms for 8 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add mushroom broth, soy sauce, maple syrup, nutritional yeast and spices. Bring to a boil.
- Add textured vegetable protein and simmer over medium heat until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add 1 tablespoon of flour and mix well.
- Finally, add the potato cubes to the mixture.
Preparation of the Meat pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- On a clean surface, sprinkle some flour and lower one of the two balls of dough to a thickness of about 4 mm. Add flour on the surface and on the dough as needed.
- Put the dough in the bottom of a pie dish.
- Add the meat pie filling on top of the dough.
- Lower the second portion of dough, still adding a little flour to the surface as needed. You can make some motives with a cookie cutter or a small knife. For mine, I cut small leaf patterns.
- Roll the dough and gently lay it on top of your pie dish.
- With a fork, press on the edges of the dough to stick well together the base and the top.
- With kitchen scissors or a knife, cut out the excess dough from around your dish.
- Finally, brush the top of the crust with a little unsweetened soy milk to allow it to brown well without being too dry.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 40 to 45 minutes. If your crust is not grilled enough at the end of cooking, you can finish with a few seconds at « broil ».
- Let stand at least 10 minutes before cutting.
That’s it, a tasty and cruelty-free no-meat pie. Hope you enjoy it!