Servings: 60 meatballs
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
My wonderful mom invited me to dinner the other night and cooked vegan food just for me. She made a nice pasta dish with oat « meatballs », tomato sauce and fresh basil. It was so delicious!
I was very inspired by her recipe to create this no-meat oat balls recipe. This will be my new vegan Christmas classic recipe for sure!
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 package of finely chopped white mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground onions
- 1teaspoon Provence herbs
- 1 teaspoon savory
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups quick oats
- 2/3 cup unbleached flour
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- In a skillet, put a drizzle of vegetable oil and sear onions, garlic and mushrooms over medium-high heat for a few minutes. Do not stir too often to prevent the mushrooms from releasing to much water.
- Add vegetable broth, water, spices, salt, pepper and 1 1/2 cups oats. Cook over medium heat until mixture is very thick and there is no visible liquid at all.
- Transfer to a bowl. Add the flour, breadcrumbs and chia seeds, then mix.
- Add remaining oats and mix again.
- Form sixty small balls of about 1 tablespoon
- In a hot skillet, put 2 tablespoon vegetable oil and grill the meatballs on all sides.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 17 to 20 minutes at 400 F.
- Serve with stew sauce and potatoes, in a pizza submarine with tomato sauce and veggies, on top of pastas or as an appetizer with a garlic mayo!