I discovered the use of chia seeds for jam on the Prana website. Since then, I always use this method to thicken my fruits spreads.
This simple recipe is as delicious on toasts as on pancakes. You can easily vary the fruits with what you have on hand or double the recipe to have some all week. A few minutes of preparation and you get a much healthier jam much than the options offered in grocery store.
- 1/2 cup frozen cherries
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- In a small pot, put the fruits, cover and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 2 minutes over medium-low heat.
- With a hand blender, blend until smooth.
- Add the chia seeds and the coconut sugar and mix well. (Even if the preparation seems too liquid at this point, the chia seeds will make the mixture thicken.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate or serve hot on pancakes for breakfast.